Half Way to 3 Million Visitors in 2013
Bali By the Numbers: Bali Ends the First Half of 2013 with 9% More Foreign Visitors than 2012
June 2013 saw 275,617 foreign tourists visit Bali, an increase month-on-month of 15.7% over the 238,296 foreign visitors that came to Bali in June 2012.
On a cumulative basis for the first half of the year, arrivals have reached 1,492,971 – an improvement of 9% over the total foreign visitors who came to Bali in the first half of 2012.
With a full six months of visitors under our belt, it is now possible to more boldly extrapolate that by the end of 2013 a record 3.15 million foreign tourists will have come to Bali, providing the current overall growth rate of 9% is sustained untill the end of the year.
Foreign Arrivals by Major Markets
- AUSTRALIA – continues to be the leader for tourist visitors. The strong growth experienced in Australian arrivals over the past half-decade, however, now appears to be cooling with arrivals up only 1.37% for January-June 2013.
- PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA – PRC arrivals have increased 15.09% in the first half of 2013, firmly cementing the Mainland Chinese market’s role as the second largest producer of foreign visitors to Bali – a ranking held by the Chinese for the past three years.
- JAPAN – After falling into the doldrums, Japanese arrivals are on a rebound, responding to added flight capacities and more focused promotion. Japanese arrivals increased 17.87% during the first six months of 2013 totaling 96,013.
- MALAYSIA – Cheap flights, and lots of them, continue to boost Malaysian visitors to Bali. With 93,200 visitors from Malaysia during the first six months of 2013, Malaysian arrivals are up12.29% and stand poised to potentially push Japan out of third place in the race for foreign source markets to Bali.
- SINGAPORE – Singapore arrivals are up 15.28% for the first half of 2013 at 63,510. Will an additional flight bySingapore Airlines help to boost Singapore arrival numbers even higher?
- SOUTH KOREAN – South Korean visitors – on a cumulative basis – declined 1.86% during the first six months of the year.
- TAIWAN – Taiwanese visitors are on the mend, improving January – June 2013 by 8.99%.
- UNITED KINGDOM – The news is not good from the U.K. with visitors down 7.41% from the U.K. during the six months of 2013. Will these declining numbers in U.K. visitors divert Garuda Indonesia from its plans to recommence flights to the U.K?
- UNITED STATES – In 9th place among all source markets for Bali visitors, American tourists are up 7.77% for the first half of 2013.
- FRANCE – The French are operating on something of a plateau with an increase of only 1.34% for visitors January-June 2013.
- RUSSIA – Russian visitors have increased a respectable 7.57% during the first half of 2013.
- GERMANY- Despite any economic woes in Germany, German tourists continue to visit Bali, improving 9.94% January-June 2013.
- INDIA– India is increasingly a player in Bali tourism with arrivals January to June up 23.56% totaling 31,529.
- THE NETHERLANDS – Dutch visitors declined 1.47% during the first six months of 2013 and have been supplanted in the rankings by India.