Bali Tourism Promotion Board Established
Governor Names Nine to Head Bali Tourism Promotion Board
The Jakarta Post reports that Bali governor Made Mangku Pastika will “immediately inaugurate" the Bali Tourism Promotion Board (BPPD) comprised of local tourism leaders and academics charged with promoting Bali tourism overseas.
Said Pastika on Wednesday, June 5, 2013: “I am eager to inaugurate the board as soon as possible, so that the board could work soon. I strongly support the board to identify and answer the many challenges in Bali’s tourism.”
An official decree issued in December 2012 called for the creation of the BPPD led by nine members drawn from tourism, academia and government circles.
Appointed to head the BPPD are:
- Tjokorda Oka Artha Ardana Sukawati (Cok Ace) the former regent of Gianyar and chairman of the Bali chapter of the Indonesian Hotels and Restaurants Association (PHRI).
- Bagus Sudibya, a hotel and travel company owner in Bali and also a member of the Association of Tour and Travel Agents (ASITA).
- Ida Bagus Ngurah Wijaya, a hotel owner and a member of the Indonesian Tourism Association (GIPI).
- Yos WK Amerta, a marine tourism operator and a member of the Indonesian Marine Tourism Association (Gahawisri).
- Sang Putu Subaya from the Association of Tour Guides Association (HPI).
- Putu Juarez Robin Putra, owner of a professional conference organizer and a member of the Society of Indonesian Professional Convention Organizers (SIPCO).
- Professor Dr. Komang Bendesa, an Assistant Rector at Bali’s Udayana University.
- Putu Saroyoni Piartini, a lecturer in management studies at Udayana University.
- Taufik Hidayat, general manager for Garuda Indonesia in Bali.
Explaining the delays in the launch of the BPPD, Pastika blamed his preoccupation with poverty eradication, saying: “Previously, I was more focused on poverty eradication. However, through the board, I hope we could re-organize our tourism that has been developed without an adequate plan.”